Free Online Tutoring Programme
for 2022/23 School Year
LearnerThon has a team of volunteer tutors to provide online tutoring service. Tutors are mostly working or retired personnel in the technology, engineering or academic fields, or university students.
Currently, we provide free online tutoring in English and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) related subjects for Secondary 1 to 6 students who cannot afford to obtain assistance from other sources.
Tablet or touch-screen PCs and Google Workspace apps are used for communication and interaction between tutors and students during online tutorials. Participating students who have no access to tablet or touch-screen PCs can borrow from LearnerThon.
2022/23 programme arrangements
- Students in need and eager to learn can click the button at the bottom to register.
- In view of resources and other considerations, LearnerThon reserves the rights to accept or reject any application to join the programme.
- LearnerThon will set up a specific email account for each newly participating student to allow free use of Google Workspace apps with minimal restrictions.
- Free online tutoring service will be provided initially for a period of six weeks if a student is admitted to the programme. Further provision of the service is subject to the student’s performance in the initial period and the concerned tutor’s recommendation.
- One-to-one or small group tutorials will be provided, depending on the subjects concerned and students’ preference.
- LearnerThon will provide briefing to newly participating students on the use of Google Workspace apps either online or face-to-face.
- LearnerThon will also arrange to introduce students to their assigned tutors either online or face-to-face, and to brief both parties relevant matters they need to take note of.
- Students and their tutors should agree on the tutoring schedules (one hour per week as the starting point) through WhatsApp. Tutors then use Google Workspace apps to set up online tutorials for students to attend. Students’ guardians can also join the respective WhatsApp groups used for communication between students and tutors.
- Should students encounter any problems before scheduled tutorials, they can use Google Workspace apps or WhatsApp to inform their tutors the details. Tutors can then decide whether to advance the tutorials or use other appropriate means to help resolve the problems earlier.
Students who have participated in LearnerThon’s tutoring programme previously and with satisfactory performance will be given priority to join this programme.